Friday, July 6, 2012

Westmoreland Sanctuary: Magnificence on a Summer Afternoon

While our older son did some cycling, our younger son and I went hiking today. Yes. Today. During an impossible heat wave.  I wanted to share some of the pictures we took on our hike.

We waited until 4 p.m. to head to Westmoreland Sanctuary, a 640-acre nature preserve that straddles Bedford and Mount Kisco,  New York. The preserve is a few miles from my parents' home and we are visiting with them for a few days.



The boys and I  have been making days-long visits with my parents this summer; my dad is largely homebound and my 81-year-old mother enjoys our company and our assistance. 


The pleasures of the area are two-fold for me: its familiarity and its newness. For example, even though I spent my childhood a few towns away, I do not recall ever visiting Westmoreland Sanctuary. It offers a summer camp and lots of lectures and other activities.



This afternoon, Lucas and I simply signed the log outside the Visitor's Center (Pictured above. It's a 200 year old building that once was Bedford's Presbyterian Church) and opted for the "Easy Loop Trail."

Thankfully it was easy enough for me (my athlete-son didn't break a sweat) and quite shaded.



I spied a swampy pond in the distance....



And we walked closer to it. There was a lean-to (where someone had left a birding book) and a small dock. I asked Lucas to walk on the dock because I was too scared to.



At the start of the hike, my son stopped at a tree and looked up. 
Way up. How small he seems.




After a while, I took my son's lead and looked up too. 
In such magnificence, we see a sign of the Other.















4 comments:

  1. The glory of all creation! That place looks gorgeous. I can't believe that I never heard of it, but ashamedly I tell you that, despite growing up not to far from there myself.

    Beautiful!

    And prayers for your parents, and for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. And here is a preserve right in White Plains!

      http://parks.westchestergov.com/silver-lake-preserve

      Delete
  2. Now that one I know and know well!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminds me of what I love about [easy] hiking and being in the woods. Could you hear the quiet?

    ReplyDelete