Thursday, December 1, 2011

Home from the Hospital After a Hit and Run

This is our firstborn son. Today about 3:30 he was hit by a red SUV. He was walking his bike across a crosswalk. A good friend of his had just crossed with his bike. The SUV driver didn't see him. The driver's van rammed into our son. The van's decorative grille hit him in the shoulder and knee. He slammed to the ground over his bike. He stood up almost immediately and walked to a parking lot. 


The driver exited his car and began yelling at my son, "It's not my fault, it's your fault."
He then moved our son's bike out of the way, asked our son if he was okay and sped off. My son and his friend were too shocked to get the driver's license plate number. 

Our son is fine. He is shaken up but his only physical problem is a bruised knee. Thank God he was wearing his bike helmet. He was more worried about his bicycle, which he bought with his hard-earned money for $800. The bicycle is fine.  Our son plans to race cyclocross Sunday.

When I returned home from an errand to learn from our younger son that "Gabriel is fine" but had been hit by an SUV and was in the emergency room with his father, I felt an overwhelming sense of calm and light.  I knew, just knew, that all would be well.  I understood immediately that Christ had protected him and would continue to envelop us all in his peace.

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul. He leads me in right paths For His Name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil;
For you are with me;
Your rod and Your staff - they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, 
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life. 
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord My whole life long.

3 comments:

  1. Mothers are amazing. I'm impressed that you're handling this so thoughtfully and prayerfully. I'd be standing at that intersection at 3:00 hunting for red SUV's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Shelton: That is exactly where I will be at 3 p.m. today! Prayer, thought and action today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thank God your son is alright! It is terrible what that SUV did and just ran off after that. I'm sure he was motivated partially of fear for being sued, but still!

    My husband sees so many hit and runs- usually drunk people running into parked vehicles. He takes great pleasure in writing tickets to them!

    ReplyDelete