Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Emperor Waltz: Two Paws Up!

Are you looking for something fun to do at home with your family? My husband discovered a gem of a movie the other night: The Emperor Waltz, directed by Billy Wilder. He taped it for me and we've been watching it together.

If you are a Wilder fan, as we are, then you know about Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment and Some Like it Hot. The Emperor Waltz is different; a light-hearted romance. A vehicle to show off Bing Crosby's beautiful baritone, it tells the tale of a commoner (Mr. Crosby) an American salesman, and a Viennese countess (played by Joan Fontaine ) They own a mutt and a dog whose bloodlines go back centuries. respectively. You can guess where this one is going.



Yes, the plot is predictable but the story is so sweet, so charming that I would encourage you to rent the DVD, grab some popcorn and gather your whole family around to see it.

Wilder, who died in 2002 at age 95, was a Viennese Jew who was working in Berlin as a screenwriter when Hitler came to power. He fled to the United States and eventually blessed us all with a large body of film as one of Hollywood's greatest and most successful directors. He won six Oscars.

Film critics consider The Emperor Waltz an exception to Wilder's fabulous career. That is a bit unfair. We love the movie. What off-beat movies about animals do you love? Please, share!



 I was prompted to repost this by The Lightning and the Lightning Bug's weekly Dare to Share.

4 comments:

  1. I've always had quite a liking for Holly Go Lightly's cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I love Bing Crosby and am surprised I haven't seen this yet. Thanks for the tip. One of my favorite off-beat movies about animals is Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. A true classic!

    Thanks for linking up with The Lightning and the Lightning Bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched many movies lately...but I should put this one on my list! I like things a little offbeat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bringing Up Baby. Now that's a great one. And yes, Dwija, you and your brood would like this one too.

    ReplyDelete