Friday, February 8, 2013

Seven Quick Takes for Friday

1. It's snowing here. Hard. The Northeast is expecting a major blizzard. Our home is ready with newly made beeswax candles, food, unread books and for me, some cross-stitch. My husband and I worry we will lose power; Superstorm Sandy showed up the infrastructure here is pretty fragile.

 newbrunswick.patch.com


2. My post about Johnny Cash was picked up by Il Sussidiario. You can read it here. The site is run from Milan by some CL friends of mine.

3. I am finishing up Truman Capote's book In Cold Blood. Book review in process!

4. Our son will be on the radio tonight! His chamber music group performed at the Grounds for Sculpture in the fall and an excerpt will be featured. You can listen online at 11 p.m. Eastern Time. Please do! http://www.wwfm.org

5. Teaching is a beautiful opportunity, a gift that sometimes I wonder if I even deserve. Once again, this winter I am teaching Night, the Holocaust memoir by Elie Wiesel. I guide my students through this difficult and important book. When we finish, a Jewish colleague of mine, whose father survived Auschwitz and whose mother was hidden during the Holocaust by Christians, will visit my classroom.

6. I want to make licorice from scratch. So does our 13 year old son. Have any of you done this?

7.  I am listening to an audiobook with the goofy title Untie the Strong Woman   I picked up at Barnes and Noble yesterday. It's kind of New Agey, and edges toward Goddess worship which I don't like, but the writer, Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes, also offers some stunning insights into Latino spirituality and Marian devotion.  I am learning a lot about Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe


Remember, O most loving Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone
who fled to your protection, implored your help, 
or sought your intercession was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, we turn to you,
O Virgin of virgins, our Mother.
To you we come, before you we stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, do not despise our petitions, 
 but in your mercy hear us and answer us.
Amen.



Seven Quick Tales is hosted by Conversion Diary


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about your son's performance! It was wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for listening, Paula! And now...I want to hear a recording from your choir.

      Delete