Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Why I Won't Be Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner

Because my husband and I met at a Thanksgiving dinner in Statesville, NC, 20 years ago.

Because ever since then, my husband had made the dinner in celebration of that beautiful day. So you see, this will not be me on Thanksgiving.

Because our sons, ages 15 and 12, think of Thanksgiving as their time when the men plan, purchase, prepare and then pile into the kitchen all day to cook, taking breaks to watch football.

Because they told me all they want me to do is to pick up a pumpkin pie and a rhubarb pie at Wightman's Farms in Morrisville, NJ.

Because this year, I will be going into Manhattan with a girlfriend from work to see the Thanksgiving Macy's Day Parade for the first time.

Because my "boys" basically told me to go enjoy that annual celebration of consumerism while they stayed home to cook, talk and use the remote. 

Because when I arrive home in the afternoon, dinner will be waiting.

Now then, that's a lot to be thankful for!

3 comments:

  1. No doubt! Sounds awesome to me. What great men you have in your life! Happy Thanksgiving Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS awesome. Thanks Julie. And to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thanksgiving! I am thankful for you and all that you have shared through your blog.

    ReplyDelete